University: The Unknown?
August 26, 2012
By: Chloe Hashemi
No matter how much any of us would like to deny it, starting uni is a bit intimidating. Of course, the anticipation of the unknown usually outweighs the fear 90% of the time, but for that remaining 10%, there’s a little anxiety lurking inside us all. You can’t help but think: Will I be spending my Friday nights alone in my tiny bedroom streaming cheesy TV shows on my laptop? Will I be counting the days down until Christmas and holidays so I can flee uni? Will I absolutely detest my course and feel like the dimmest person in the lecture?
I, like thousands of future university students out there, was beyond nervous and undeniably scared about the whole thing. Despite my so-called tough exterior, I was actually dreading both the social and academic sides of university. Coming from abroad, despite having a British background, I felt like I was going to be a fish out of water and apprehensive at the thought of what people would think of me. Getting your acceptance letter doesn’t come with a built-in group of friends for freshers week, and when applying for UCAS, you barely pause for a minute to think of the practical side of the entire situation. Things like how to survive throughout your three or four years as a student, or who your flatmates will be. Through those grueling A’ level years, all that was on any of our minds was grades, grades, grades, and getting those single letters of the alphabet is all that could be thought of seriously until the weight is dragged off your shoulders in mid August.
Okay, I realise university life has just been set up to be all doom and gloom, but that is exactly the opposite intention of this article. What I would really like to do is express how much an optimistic attitude and an open mind can transform your new life at university. No matter how cliché this advice sounds, I really do believe this is the truth, and the best mindset with which to begin this new chapter of your life. University gives you a chance to take risks. The Freshers’ Fair can offer you everything from the typical sports to the wilder activities like ‘Quidditch’ and ‘Ultimate Frisbee’. You have the opportunity to meet people you wouldn’t become friends with in any other situation, and that’s what makes things so exciting, and what makes each person’s university experience unique. Personally, I know for a fact my first year of uni would not have been as unforgettable if I hadn’t been so lucky with my flatmates and the amazing people I met along the way.
Without wanting to sound sugar sweet and saccharine, I really would advise adopting a ‘YES MAN’ attitude in your first year at university (to an extent of course!). There are countless of doors waiting to be opened, you just need to have the balls to unlock the one you feel is right for you, even if you haven’t got a clue what’s waiting for you on the other side.