UKC: Tips For Tackling Venue and The Attic
September 19, 2012
By: Natalie Tipping
One of the major bonuses of first year is that you’re likely to be living on campus, which means you’re close to the University’s very own on campus clubs, Venue and The Attic! As with any night-club however, there are certain things you need to remember when going on a night-out on campus!
- 1. Although pre-drinking may seem like a good idea, don’t drink too much!
- Not only is there the possibility that you’ll make a fool out of yourself, there are photographers walking round both clubs who will catch your embarrassment on camera and often, put it on Facebook. There’s also the chance that you’ll walk into your first seminar and have everyone already know you as ‘that girl/guy’ who acted like an idiot during Freshers. Not a good look.
- 2. If you ignore tip #1 and plan on getting wasted, don’t take your bank card out with you.
- Although there’s only a very slim chance of it getting stolen from your bag, there’s still a chance. Besides, there’s a cash machine right outside the door to the club which you don’t want to be going to every 10 minutes, only to discover the next day that your loan has taken a serious hit.
- 3. If you don’t want to take a coat with you, go early.
- There’s never usually a queue until after 10, and although you might be some of the first people in there, it’ll save you standing outside in the cold and the rain! Also, it’s free entry to Venue before 10, so if you want an extra jaeger-bomb, that’s something worth thinking about!
- 4. Make sure you queue in the right place.
- Both clubs are in the same building, Venue is downstairs and the Attic is, surprisingly, in the attic. If you want to get into Venue, queue down the side of the road near Keynes. For the Attic, queue next to the Mandela building and the Eliot College car-park.
- 5. If you’re bringing a friend from home, they’ll need to be signed in.
- As long as they’re accompanied by someone with a valid student card, you shouldn’t have a problem getting friends from other universities in. You’re then responsible for them though, so keep an eye on them. They’ll also need to pay £1 more than you for entry.
- 6. DON’T annoy the bouncers.
- They can and will throw you out.
- 7. If you want to be served at some point during the night, push your way to the front.
- Venue is like any other club, the bar gets packed out and the staff lose track of who was next, they’re only human. So if you want a drink, make sure you fight your way to the front. It also might be worth buying a couple of drinks at once to save you having to queue up again.
- 8. If you’re a smoker, finish your drink before you go outside.
- No drinks are allowed in the smoking area, and if you put your drink down, it’s not going to be there when you come back.
- 9. If you’ve never tried a certain drink before, don’t have it as your first drink.
- Trust me, it’ll save you having to buy more drinks to wash the horrible taste out of your mouth, or washing machine tablets to clean the vomit off your clothes.
- 10. Keep a couple of the kebab/pizza menus from your corridor.
- When you get home, you’ll inevitably need something to soak up the drink. You’ll find that every other day someone will come round to post takeaway menus under your door. Although it may seem annoying at first, when you’ve got a few snakebites down your neck you’ll be glad that those people have given you some salvation.