“How Do I Lose Weight?”
August 27, 2012
By: Evie Chrysostomou
Recently, many people have asked me how I lost weight and how they can do the same. Therefore, I’m writing this for people who are interested in losing weight the healthy way and as a little motivation for myself when I get lazy! Firstly, I just want to say that I am on a weight loss journey. It’s not a quick fix or fad diet. I believe that if you want to lose weight and to keep the weight off, you need to make daily, permanent, changes as that is the only way to see permanent results. Basically, you have to be in it for the long haul. And secondly, the steps that I took to losing weight worked for me, but everybody is different and you may find that it does not work for you. Take a different approach and keep trying! Don’t be disheartened if you don’t see results straightaway. It will take time and determination to achieve your ideal weight. Slow and steady wins the race…
So here are my secrets to healthy weight loss and how I lost two stone!
1) Find your motivation. Ask yourself why you want to lose weight and what rewards you will give yourself for achieving your goals. Print out motivational pictures and put them by your bed or your fridge for times when you need inspiration. Look up weight loss blogs, health magazines and bookmark them. Anything that motivates you.
2) Write it down. Keep a notebook of your goals Record your eating habits, meal plans, calorie intake and exercise routines. This is especially useful as you can review and go back to a really healthy day of eating and try to repeat it.
3) Counting calories. Counting calories doesn’t have to be hard. Register on Myfitnesspal.com, put in your information and it will tell you how many calories you need to eat to lose X amount of weight in X time. Make sure you eat 3 meals a day, and allow yourself healthy snacks in between meals. Do not eat after 8 pm!
4) Portion size. Control your portion size, especially when snacking by measuring. Keep some measuring cups, spoons, and plates at hand.
5) Always read nutrition labels. It’s important to know what you are eating when you are trying to lose weight. Stay away from anything labeled “DIET!” ie. diet shakes, diet cereal bars and snacks. Most diet or low fat foods, have a high number of artificial additives. Keep it natural!
6) Forget fast food! Healthy weight loss is combined of 70% diet and 30% exercise. Note: A meal at McDonald’s amounts to your whole calorie intake for that day. What you put in your body counts for a lot! You cannot out exercise a bad diet! Eat clean and train dirty. It’s hard to stick to healthy foods when out with friends - I can relate to that - but stay strong! Every now and again if you do happen to eat fast food, don’t beat yourself up about it. It happens. Just enjoy it and make an effort the next day to eat healthily.
7) Dessert, Dessert, Dessert! Don’t say no to dessert! If you want to have dessert, treat yourself! If you tell yourself you are not allowed certain foods, then you will crave them more and will be more likely to binge later on. A treat now and again will do no harm!
8 ) Research! Find out the best foods that help burn fat. Such as: tomatoes, almonds, spinach, leafy greens, citrus fruits, oats and raisins, lentils, salmon,yoghurt and eggs.
9) Excersie! Cardio is the key to losing weight. Do H.I.I.T: High Intensity Interval Training 3-4 times a week on a treadmill, bike or cross trainer. If you can’t get to the gym, swimming, running, or anything that will raise your heart-rate will work a charm!
Strength training! Weight loss is not only achieved by doing cardio. In fact, doing strength workouts and muscle building burns MORE calories post cardio workouts! Ladies: fear not, you will not get manly muscles by doing weight exercises!! That is a myth! Make those dumbells and kettlebells your best friends!
10) Hydration nudge! Keep up your fluids by drinking 8 glasses of water a day! If you don’t like water, then I suggest drinking flavoured water. Try drinking tea: herbal or green tea. No fizzy drinks! If you are exercising you must stay hydrated and drink water! This is a must!