50 Things to Do Instead of Watching the Olympics
August 6, 2012
By: Neelam Saredia
Through the genius of Slumdog Millionaire’s Danny Boyle, there is no doubt that the Olympic ceremony opening was both breathtaking and completely unique. Yet with the almost constant hype surrounding the games, there are those of us who find themselves less than excited to jump on the Olympic bandwagon. That’s why we’ve put together a list of what you can do to keep occupied until the games are over, broke-student style!
1. Have a BBQ with friends, weather providing!
2. Read a good book- simple pleasures are the best.
3. Meet up with an old friend.
4. Learn a new language.
5. Have ‘Come Dine with Me’ dinner parties for a week (number scoring in taxis included!).
6. Volunteer in a care home: you can make a difference in the local community.
7. Go on a shopping spree and buy a few things that make you happy.
8. …Or failing that, go window shopping!
9. Spend some time with the family, no matter how embarrassing, annoying or eccentric your relatives may be!
10. Visit all the tourist places that will now be empty because of the Olympics (galleries and museums ahoy!).
11. Go on a weekend mini-break.
12. Spend the day at the beach.
13. Go on a road trip, Hollywood film style!
15. Learn to do henna for your hands.
16. Watch a film that makes you laugh, cry or think.
17. Go through the house and donate old books, clothes and shoes to charity.
18. Maintain a garden or just plant something and care for it.
19. Have a (late) spring clean!
20. Learn to drive.
21. Cycle in local parks.
22. Switch off the TV and spend the day outside.
23. Go hiking.
24. Make love.
25. Try out new hairstyles. Even if it turns out terrible, the world won’t see it!
26. Try your hand at origami (because we all want to make those cool swans at some point!).
27. Get ahead and read the books on your uni reading list.
28. Learn a new skill.
29. Meet and talk to a new group of people.
30. Try and become a YouTube sensation!
31. Learn a new musical instrument.
32. Lie in a hammock outside.
33. Log off Facebook and meet up with people face-to-face.
34. Go to a dance class.
35. Build a model ship; how do they get that ship inside?
36. Have a pampering day (face, hair, nails, the lot!).
37. Do a D.I.Y. activity.
38. Go camping and make s’mores.
39. Visit a farm.
40. Go to the zoo!
41. Go to the cinema or theatre.
42. Watch the sunset…or sunrise.
43. Update your CV.
44. Get work experience for something you love.
45. Meditate: it’s a spiritual workout!
46. Make a to-do list and follow it.
47. Paint a canvas, wall or house.
48. Have a duvet day!
49. Write a novel, poem or short story.
50. Go to a dress shop (even the bridal ones) and try on all the dresses for no reason. Tried, tested, loved!